Interested in working in the white water rafting community but don’t know how to get started?
Our Raft Guide School is the perfect launching ground for motivated individuals who want to pursue a rewarding career as a river guide.
Recreational paddler looking to solidify your skills?
Our raft guide course will give you the knowledge and experience necessary to be confident as a recreational paddler.
Who else signs up for our Raft Guide School?
The majority of our students are adventurous young adults looking for an entry into the white-water community. In many cases the students have been clients on a rafting tour or have a canoeing or kayaking background. We also get some more seasoned paddlers that are looking to improve their skills and meet other like minded individuals. Graduates of our river rafting guide course are guiding successfully within BC and all over the world.
Pricing, Dates and Registration
- Course Fee: CDN$1600 + GST
- Course Dates & Locations: May 15th – May 26th, 2023. Canadian Outback Rafting resort in the at 12825 Squamish Valley Road, Squamish, BC, V0N 1H0. Elaho, Squamish and Cheakamus Rivers.
- To Register: Please email Graham Young with “Guide School” in the subject.
- Registration deadline: May 1st, 2023. Note that there is a limited number of seats available.
- Where can I stay? Ask at the time of registration for up to date accommodation and camping options.
- What should I bring? A detailed list of items will be mailed out to you upon registration for the course.
- Instructor/Student Ratio: We want you to get the most out of the course and keep the ratio at 5:1 and often less
Want to know more?
Our whitewater rafting guide course is designed as a training program for individuals, with little or no rafting experience, wishing to become commercial raft guides in BC. The BC River Guide License is well known internationally and creates opportunities for local and international employment. Our guides have worked on every continent and bring the knowledge, skills and connections to students of the program.
This raft guide course is designed to give students extensive river training and safety skills. The Canadian Outback river guide program provides a solid foundation for aspiring professional guides. It prepares the recreational rafter to be better prepared to safely engage in their own river expeditions.
Course Topics Include:
- river hydrology
- river reading
- risk management
- specialized equipment
- oar and paddle techniques
- basic rope systems management
- river rescue
- flip drills
- additional topics as required.
Our river guide school has become popular among experienced recreational river rafters as a way to increase their skill level and add to their assessment of safety while enjoying this sport.
Canadian Outback’s raft guide course includes a total of 10 days of theory and practical river guide instruction and training. Days are intense, allowing you the best possible chance to learn as much as possible and prepare you to apprentice or work in the industry. Through on going support and feedback our instructors will assist you to develop the skills required to pass the provincial guide exams. Post-course practice using CORC equipment is available for successful graduates.
Lifelong free rafting for students and discounted rates for those joining them is another bonus. *Restriction apply*
Upon completion of this course those who are ready will have the opportunity to challenge for the BCROA raft guide license. Dependant on the individual, a part or full summer of training is needed to be ready to work commercially. We recruit the best and the brightest graduates to shadow and eventually join our guide roster for the summer.
Why choose a Canadian Outback Rafting Guide School?
Our Top 10 Reasons:
- Our raft guide school conveniently takes place just an hour from Vancouver & Whistler near Squamish, “Canada’s Outdoor Recreation Capital”.
- Our raft guide school operates on several rivers which guarantees guide trainees diversity.
- Our instructors and guides have a high level of experience and come from top rivers all over the world.
- River gear is available at no extra cost to those who need it.
- We offer extra training days.
- For those students who demonstrate high standards, raft guide job openings are often available.
- Canadian Outback is a member of the BCROA and is well respected within the industry.
- We are one of the fastest growing rafting companies in Canada.
- We have a five star rating on TripAdvisor and Facebook.
- Raft guiding is a dynamic and rewarding job that pays competitively.
Got questions? Please email Graham Young with “Guide School” in the subject.